Digital Container Shipping Association (hereinafter DCSA, we, our or us) aims to establish standards for a common technology framework, enabling global collaboration within the shipping (service) industry.
In the context of its activities, DSCA may collect, store or otherwise process personal data. Based on applicable data protection and privacy law and, in particular, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Dutch GDPR Implementation Act (UAVG), DCSA qualifies as the data controller with respect to the processing of your personal data. This privacy statement will explain how DCSA uses the personal data we collect from you when you visit our website.
- Who are we?
We are Digital Container Shipping Association, an association with full legal capacity (vereniging met volledige rechtsbevoegdheid) incorporated under Dutch law, with a registered office at Strawinskylaan 4117 4th Floor in (1077 ZX) Amsterdam, with registration number 74567837. By using our services and/or our website and by providing your personal data to us, you acknowledge that your personal data will be processed in accordance with this privacy statement.
Notice: this does not mean that you consent to the processing of your personal data. We do not process your personal data based on your consent, unless specifically indicated by this privacy notice or prior to our collection of your personal data.
2. What data do we collect?
DCSA collects and processes (part of) the following personal data:
- Name and address;
- Contact details, including addresses, phone numbers and email addresses;
- Business contact details, company name and job title;
- CV, educational and professional experience, references, statement of conduct or outcomes of precedential investigations, answers to questions during job interviews, test results, professional certificates;
- Information from public registers, such as extractions from the Chamber of Commerce;
Information from external sources (search engines, sector specific news articles, social media) which we combine with the data that we collect from you ourselves, in order to construct a more comprehensive and accurate set of information on you.
3. How do we collect your data?
We collect data and process data when you:
- Register online to receive (DCSA) news updates from us.
- Submit an inquiry through our website.
- Voluntarily complete a survey or request for feedback through our website or by email.
- Use or view our website via your browser’s cookies.
- Voluntarily share your personal data with us, for example if you communicate with us via email or by other means, or when you apply for a job with us.
We may also collect and process your personal data that we receive from third parties:
- Through public registers, such as trade registers or through the Chamber of Commerce.
- From third parties, for instance if they lawfully transfer your data to us, in order for us to contact you and provide our services to you.
- from external sources (search engines, sector specific news articles, social media).
4. Legal bases for processing
We process your personal data based on one of the following legal grounds:
- If the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party (or in order to take the necessary steps prior to entering into a contract with you), as described below under (a) and (b);
- If the processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us, such as described below under (c) to (g);
- If the processing is based on your consent (h).
Insofar as we process your personal data based on your consent, for instance for the purpose of sending newsletters or marketing material if you are not yet one of our contacts, or for the purpose of placing cookies when visiting our website, we hereby inform you that you have the right to withdraw your consent, at any time, by using the ‘unsubscribe’ function in our newsletter or by contacting us directly, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
5. How will we use your data
DCSA collects your data so that we can:
- provide you with the requested services and updates;
- assess whether you are suitable for the position for which you apply and to possibly enter into an employment contract with you, as well as to prevent the reassessment of applicants;
- keep administrative records, for instance debtor and creditor, and financial administration, and (client) relationship and membership management;
- use it for communication purposes, such as the processing of and responding to your requests, inquiries and complaints, the maintenance of business relations;
- establish, exercise, or defend our legal position and rights;
- use it for marketing purposes which in our view may be relevant for you, to send newsletters and updates;
- use it for analytics and research purposes, for instance in relation to the prevention of fraud and abuse, but also to improve our services;
- provide you with newsletters and other forms of communications you request from us.
6. How we store your data?
DCSA securely stores your data in our central Salesforce CRM platform. We also use this platform to send you news updates and respond to your inquiries.
We have taken technical and organizational security measures to protect your personal data as adequately as possible against destruction, loss, alteration and unauthorized access, storage or other processing operations. Also, we strive to keep your data accurate and up to date. In that context, we request you to actively inform us about any changes of your personal data (such as a change of address).
DCSA will store your personal data as long as it is necessary for the purposes of processing it or to comply with legal or regulatory requirements. If you want to know what retention terms DCSA applies to your personal data, please feel free to contact us, in the manner as indicated under section 13 below.
DCSA will only send you marketing updates if you have agreed to receive these. You may always opt out of receiving these updates at a later date, by clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the emails, or by contacting us as indicated under section 13 below.
8. What are your data protection rights?
DCSA would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every subscriber is, under circumstances, entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request DCSA an overview of the personal data that we store.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request that DCSA correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request DCSA to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request that DCSA erase your personal data.
- The right to object –You have the right to object to to the processing of your personal data.
- The right of data portability – You have the right to receive your personal data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and to (have) transmit(ted) your personal data to another organisation.
We use analytics services to help us understand how effective our content is, what interests you as our user and to improve this website. This information is used for statistical purposes only. This website does not use targeting or marketing cookies.
10. How to manage cookies?
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, however, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
The DCSA website contains links to other websites. Our privacy statement applies only to our website, so if you click on a link to another website, you should read their privacy statement.
12. Changes to our privacy statement
DCSA will review this privacy statement from time to time and will place any updates on this web page. This privacy statement was last updated on 29 October 2020.
13. How to contact us
If you have any questions about the DCSA privacy statement, the data we hold on you, or you would like to exercise one of your data protection rights, please do not hesitate to contact us via the contact form available on our website: https://dcsa.org/general-contact/.